Thursday, February 19, 2009

Brady's baby quilt is finished! Being a first-time sewing gift-giver, I wanted to put a label in it so he would know who it's from. I searched all over etsy for the "perfect" sew-in labels at a good price. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them, so I made my own using a piece of the quilt fabric and a micron permanent marking pen. If you'd like to make your own label, fold all four edges back and iron flat with some spray starch. (or steam might work too)

Write your message or signature with a micron permanent pen. I found mine at Jo-Ann Fabric store in the quilting notions section. I thought it would be in the art supplies aisle, but they sell it near the quilters' square rulers, pins, etc. It comes packaged as a single marker. The "01" tip worked well for me and didn't bleed, as long as I didn't go back over what I had already written.

I then stitched the label to the back of my quilt, using the same stitch as I would the binding. It shows a little, so you may want to use thread to match the quilt backing. Just be careful not to stitch your needle all the way through to the quilt top...just catch a few threads from the backing fabric and it should be secure.

This looks so personal and your friends and family will love to have your handwriting on the tag!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Great idea! I did something similar, but just used Heat-N-Bond instead of stitching it on since I was only using it for a wallhanging. Your idea would be great for washable items.

I also wanted to say that the Queen of Free told me about your blog. If you would like to see mine it is http://blessingsoverflowing.blogspot.com.