Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Carve your own Rubber Stamps...HOW-TO


I've been sittin', waiting, wishing.....

What else can a fully-preggers momma do in the heat of the summer and no physical energy? Why not carve some stamps? I took some printmaking classes during my time at Purdue, and have been dying to try these handmade rubber stamps. Want to try it too? Here's some help:

You'll need:

- Mastercarve block

- blank scrap paper

- soft-lead pencil

- Speedball hand-carving tool with tips sizes #1 and #2

- stamp pad and/or markers


Start with a Mastercarve carving block in your size of choice. I found mine (approx. 1.5" square) at United Art and Education stores.

Trace the outline of your carving block onto a piece of paper, to give you an idea of how large your design can be. Using a soft-lead pencil, draw your stamp design within the outline.

When you've rubbed the back of the drawing on top of your carving block, it should transfer like this...(any words will now be in mirror image)
The next step takes some practice...Use your carving tool to outline the design and carve away the excess rubber.
Try stamping it a few times to see which areas need to be carved further...
Did you also know that you can color the stamp by hand with markers?What's the next step? Make some handmade cards or use fabric ink to hand-stamp some linen!

Enjoy!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

are you kidding me??!!! this is sooOOoo CUTE!! you're a smart little cookie my dear!!

Stacey said...

Wow Aerial! you are so talented! Love your blog!


Stacey (Titus's Moppets teacher)

Bibi said...

Oh wow!! I LOVE your stamps! I could never make these..but you should sell some in your etsy shop with your designs.;)

Molly said...

thank you, thank you!! this has been on my to do list for awhile--you make it look so easy! Your gnome and wagon are so adorable!!

Angie said...

I'll buy those anytime sister! Love them!

B. said...

Yep another thing I can't do. You make me feel a little inadequate. But I agree with the other ladies make some so I can buy them off you!

Kris said...

so so cute! I love the marker idea too! How long does it stay wet?

Kerri said...

oh, my!!! L O V E them!! those would be a fun addition to your shop!! i know i wouldn't be able to resist!! :)

Jeannette said...

So cute! You are very talented, wow.