Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What to do with vintage fabric?


Chickadees have a very special place in my heart because I have only a few memories of my Mamaw Bernice (or as I affectionately called her, "Mamaw Moose" because I was obsessed with Mickey Mouse and couldn't say, "mouse"). One very clear memory I have of her is going to stay and sleeping in the guest room. She always put my favorite sheets on the bed, which were a very retro scene of chickadees on a mint green background of branches and tiny blue flowers. We would play a game of "find the chickadees" before I went to sleep.


After my mamaw passed away, we couldn't find the sheets anywhere. It wasn't until I was about 25 years old and my aunt visited with a surprise. She had transplanted a tree from my mamaw's house and realized they had wrapped it in an old sheet...the chickadees sheet. I now have the sheet and am almost too afraid to cut into it, yet don't want to leave it in the closet to never be used. I would love to make it into a quilt...

3 comments:

Mandy said...

What a great story.

And you are making me want to buy a sewing machine with all these cute project ideas. I do not need another hobby, I do not need another hobby.

Anonymous said...

Have you done anything with Grandma's sheet yet? PLEASE post a picture on here if you do! I would love to see it! It's so great to have those special memories...she was a great person!!!

Ariel said...

Wasn't she sweet? I still haven't cut into it yet, but I definitely will. It needs to become part of a quilt ;)